Facts about Lake LBJ / Highland Lakes
Lake LBJ, named after President Lyndon B. Johnson, is part of the Highland Lakes chain of seven lakes starting in Austin and spanning northwest for more than 85 miles. Originally called Lake Granite Shoals, the reservoir was formed in 1950 by the construction of Granite Shoals Dam by the Lower Colorado River Authority. The lake was renamed to Lake Lyndon B. Johnson (“LBJ”) in 1965 in honor of the former President of the U.S.
Lake LBJ is one of seven fresh water reservoirs that make up the Highland Lakes formed by several dams on the Colorado River. This portion of the river winds southeast from its headwaters near the border of Texas and New Mexico to Matagorda Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The dams provide flood control and are used to generate hydroelectric power and recreational opportunities.
Lake LBJ is one of the largest constant level lakes in the U.S. and is just over 21 miles long with a maximum width of 10,800 feet. As one of the most popular lakes in Texas, it is perfect for a variety of water activities and an outdoor lifestyle!